Friday 24 July 2015

2 weeks old

The puppies have reached the next big milestone and everything that goes with it.  At 2 weeks old they are walking (sort of), barking (again, sort of), their eyes are open and they are squatting to do their wees and poos instead of waiting for mama to do the honours.  And they are just starting to think about playing.

They are moving pretty quick when they put their minds to it, and so it can be difficult to get photos - at least to get any that are sharp.  I don't think I have taken a single picture of Serena yet that wasn't at least a teeny bit blurry.  There is a fuzzy one or two in this selection, but the good news is that Emmi's hu-parents, Jane & Mark, are coming to visit tomorrow.  Those of you in the know will know about Mark's famous skills with the camera.  You may remember he took some really outstanding shots of Tuuli's first litter at 2 weeks old.  I'm hoping he doesn't forget his camera tomorrow.  Chances are he will remember.  Do you suppose I should remind him?  Perhaps that would be better than risking sending him immediately back home when he turns up without it...

Normally no one is allowed to visit in the first 4 weeks of the puppies' lives.  I'm careful not to introduce too much in the way of new germs to the house.  It is a moot exercise, perhaps, when you consider the rest of the dogs have their daily walks, coming into contact with all sorts and then coming home.  Emmi doesn't mix with the other dogs a lot, but there is some fraternization - we don't keep her locked up in a room with the puppies, after all.  So I do what I can. 

In addition to the germs, I really don't want to do anything that will unsettle the nursing mum.  Before the puppies came I had warned Jane & Mark that they would not be able to visit before the 4 weeks under any circumstances.  I know what a close bond Jane & Emmi share and I was worried about Emmi abandoning her puppies in the hope of going back home if she saw her hu-parents.  However, now that I have seen what a wonderful mum Emmi is, and how protective she is of her babies, I have no worries whatsoever about her trying to leave them behind and heading for the car and home.  I'm looking forward to seeing how proud she is when she gets to show off her brood to Jane & Mark.

And so to the photos, blurry and all.






































1 comment:

Linda said...

Awwwww.....precious photos. :)