Tuesday 24 March 2015

spring on Dartmoor

That's the funny thing about March - some days you know it's spring and other days... well, other days you can't even remember a time it wasn't cold, wet and miserable.

I have several books of Dartmoor walks and outside the warmth and comfort of home I haven't troubled their pages nearly enough.  So a few days ago I packed up my rucksack, stuck my map in my pocket and put Tuuli in her harness in preparation for a 4-or-5-hour hike over part of the mid- moor starting from Widecombe in the Moor.

Even though it's only 30 minutes from where I live, and it is famous and quite the most touristy of all atmospheric Dartmoor villages, I had never been there before.  Or perhaps those are the reasons I had never been there before.  But isn't it beautiful!

You'll just have to take my word for that, though, I'm afraid.  Or go ahead and Google it. Or have a look here on TripAdvisor where they have a nice selection of photos.   At any rate, I have no lovely photos to share because when I got there it looked rather like this.

























And like this.



























Not exactly the sort of weather one prefers for stomping around on Dartmoor, particularly on unfamiliar territory.  And particularly when it's easy enough to get lost on Dartmoor even in glorious weather.

So rather than risk the humiliation of having to be rescued 10 foggy minutes from civilisation, I turned tail and headed back down the moor to my old stomping ground, Pullabrook Woods in the Bovey Valley near Lustleigh.

I could do that walk with my eyes closed, so the weather didn't deter me in the slightest.  And at any rate, it was considerably pleasanter down there by the river than up on exposed ground with the ponies.

So here are a few pictures of Tuuli on that walk.  Some of the spots look a bit familiar?  As I said, I've done this walk more than once or twice, so there are plenty of photos around of it. 

She is willing to pose, but refuses to look at the camera






Obligatory river shot



Lappy on a rock



























And now I'm off to look into the acquisition of a tent.  And a rucksack.  And other paraphernalia that will come in handy for a 2-or-3-day hike.  Yep, that's my plan all right.  Just as soon as the weather improves.  If it ever does.


No comments: