Tuesday 6 January 2015

diary of a pregnancy

Tuuli with about a week to go


























I always keep notes on what happens and when it happens during each pregnancy and whelping so that I can go back and compare later experiences.  This is the brief diary I kept during Tuuli's pregnancy. 
Wednesday, 29 Oct 2014  -  Tuuli is only on day 10 of her season,  but I'm worried I should have picked up Kuura earlier.  She's driving Keskiyo mad, flirting with him, standing and staring at him.  He doesn't seem to think she's ready, but she does!

Friday, 31 Oct  -  Day 12  -  Picked up Kuura last night but he didn't get to see Tuuli until this morning.  Then it was about 20 seconds from saying hello to achieving a tie which lasted about 12 minutes with Tuuli on her back, having flipped over trying to escape.  She was rather noisy for the whole time.

Saturday,  1 Nov  -  Day 13  -  Today it took about 30 seconds for Kuura to do the deed.  This time, a 10-minute tie.  Tuuli much more accepting this time - she knew what she was doing.

Tuesday, 11 Nov  -  11 days after 1st mating  -  I'm determined not to look for signs, but Tuuli is throwing them at me: she's definitely subdued and feeling needy and cuddly. 

Tuesday, 18 Nov  -  day 18  -  Not quite sure when it started, but now she's begging for food and barking for her meals.  Hungry, hungry girl.  But she doesn't get any extra food at this point.

Thursday, 20 Nov  -  day 20  -  Looked at Tuuli when I got home from work and decided she is looking a little ... rounded.  Definitely different.  I definitely think.

Friday, 21 Nov  -  day 21  -  She's feeling sick at breakfast time.  Didn't finish breakfast or dinner this day or the next several days.

Wednesday, 26 Nov  -  day 26  -  Tuuli has had a few days of a slight discharge.  Keskiyo has been taking notice of her - and getting on my nerves.  

Tuesday, 2 Dec  -  day 32  -  Tomorrow would be the scanning day, but we are going a few days late.  Tonight Tuuli definitely looks a bit on the chubby side.

Monday, 8 Dec - day 38 - The scan showed 4 puppies plus one empty sac plus a LOT of gas.  Apparently when there is gas like that you can't see if there is anything in there or not.  The woman doing the scanning thought there might be more than 4 because of their position.  With only 4 she would have expected them to be more spread out.

Wednesday, 17 Dec  -  day 47  -  With approximately 2 weeks to go,  Tuuli is looking enormous so I'm convinced there will be more than only 4.  I'm saying 7 or 8.

Wednesday, 24 Dec  -  day 54  -  Only a week to go.  Tuuli did indeed have gas - and very smelly gas!  It has now all well and truly shifted and she has shrunk in size so I'm back to thinking 4 puppies.  Actually, I'm through trying to count puppies before they are hatched.

Sunday, 27 Dec  -  day 57  -  We get the whelping box cleaned and set up.  I feel happier knowing we're ready whenever Tuuli is.

Monday, 29 Dec  -  day 59  -  After an eventful day with Emmi & Jaana visiting, the puppies seem to be moving down and getting ready because Tuuli is restless and uncomfortable in the evening.  I show her the whelping box and she happily hops in.  But she sleeps in her own bed through the night with only a little bit of scratching.

Tuesday, 30 Dec  -  day 60  -  My friend's birthday, so I spend a couple of hours in Exeter with her.  Tuuli refuses her breakfast and spends the day moving in and out of restlessness and discomfort.  There is intermittent digging but she still enjoys 2 little walks though.  I'm now thinking she could go tonight or tomorrow, but this stage can and usually does last for 24-48 hours.

In the evening she can't settle and at 6 pm throws up.  Then again a little later.  It's the sign I've been waiting for.  She goes out for a wee and a poo - the next sign that she's ready to get going.  She and I install ourselves in the back bedroom where the whelping box is set up.  She asks to go out several times thinking she needs a poo - the puppies are obviously pressing down, ready to come.
Tuuli in her whelping box getting ready


























In addition to the notes of what happens during the pregnancy, I also keep copious garbled notes during the whelping, if at all possible.  It's the way I keep track of who's who with the puppies and, again, it provides me with a record to refer back to.  These are the edited highlights from said garbled notes.
10pm - Contractions start.   (I usually expect them to go on for 2 hours or thereabouts before the first puppy arrives.)

10:20 pm  -  The first puppy is born after a bit of kerfuffle and Tuuli standing up to do a bit of pacing with his head at her vulva and me following with my hands cupped behind her to catch him as he comes out.  In the end, though, she lies down and out he comes.  But the placenta stays inside.  And stays.  And stays.  The bag is broken and the puppy is breathing, though, so I don't interfere.

10:32 pm  -  Tuuli has chewed through the umbilical cord so the puppy is separated finally

Puppy 1:  Male.  4 white toes right front paw; 2 white toes left back paw; tan left back leg; front legs very bright underneath; white cross on chest; pink nose.  300g

11:05 pm  -  Not sure he has managed to stick on yet!!  Without him suckling there are no more contractions!

11:20 pm  -  He is finally suckling and Tuuli is napping.  A couple of contractions.

First Puppy


























11:25 pm  -  Puppy 2 is born.  I break the bag.

Puppy 2:  Female.  White cheeks, bright muzzle, little light triangle on chin.  Tan legs front & back.  No white toes but white claws on all paws.  300 g

11.36 pm  -  Both stuck on?  Can it be true??  All is quiet, anyway.

11:50 pm  -  Contractions.

00:10 am  -  Puppy born bum-first with much straining and ripping of paper.  I break bag.  Not breathing at first so I rub with a towel and hold upside-down for a few seconds to drain any fluid from the lungs. 

Puppy 3:  Male.  Tan legs; 2 white toes front right; no white toes on back paws.  Black nose.  365 g

00:48 am  -  Contractions start again.  Rush of liquid 2 mins later.

00:55 am  -  Ripping paper and pacing.

01:15 am  -  I was getting worried but puppy finally born bum-first again.  I break bag.  Sluggish at first.

Puppy 4:  Female.  Very bright face; white muzzle; brown???  350g

01:35 am  -  Another bright boy!

Puppy 5:  Male.  Pink nose; white claws front paws, white tips on back toes; 305g

By 3 am I'm pretty sure Tuuli is all finished so we both settle down to get some sleep.  

New family settling down for the night
























No comments: