Tuesday 31 December 2013

happy new year

At this stage I'm still missing the puppies and still worrying about how they are doing, although I know that their owners are getting on with puppy stuff and barely giving me a thought.  As it should be.  Or, that's what I keep telling myself.  I try not to email/text/phone everyone daily to make sure all is well, you understand, but still it's nice to get updates.

Around about the 10-week mark the house training is going well, the first vaccinations have been done, there have been lots of experiences with new places, new people and new dogs, and everyone is getting ready for their puppy classes to start in a week or so.  The main questions that everyone has are:  (a) how do I get him to stop biting me? (b) is it ok when I do X, Y or Z? and (c) how do I get him to stop biting the lead?

Lots of biting-related questions at this stage, and everyone is always relieved to hear that it's all perfectly normal and necessary.  Although, to be fair, that probably doesn't help with the scratches, torn sleeves and various other puppy-teeth-related injuries.  It is an age where puppies must learn that it is never acceptable to bite people and they must learn what it is ok to bite (i.e. toys and chews - not legs of anything, whether they belong to humans, other dogs or even tables).  And it is an age that the humans must survive.  As with all puppy-related issues, time and gentle, consistent guidance will see you through.  Leather gloves come in handy too.

Wishing all my friends, readers, visitors and puppy owners a very happy new year!  May 2014 bring you all you wish for and more.  And may it see the back of what you wish would bugger off.

I will leave you with a couple of photos of some grown-up puppies that were sent to me in honour of their recent 3rd birthday.  Incidentally, Daniel tells me that Kuura has had another phase of calming down and maturing - there you go, Pippuri puppy owners, only two-and-three-quarters-of-a-year to go.

Kuura looking gorgeous with a little help from the wind























Bo with her rosettes


















Bo looking so much like both mum and granny!



3 comments:

thankfifi said...

They are both looking lovely :) Happy new year to you all too.x

Wendy.

Unknown said...

Wow, Bo is a very beautiful Girl isnt she :)lovely photos :)

Jennifer said...

Thank you both!