Wednesday 13 November 2013

nails

The puppies' nails are cut weekly and it becomes the job of their new owners to make sure they are kept trim in the future.  With older dogs who do a lot of walking on pavements, there is less need to cut the nails so regularly as they get worn down during walks.  But with puppies the nails must be cut.  And it's a tricky job.  Verrry tricky.

It's particularly difficult when the puppies are tiny, as recorded here when the they were only 1 week old.   But it can still be a pretty delicate job when the puppy is older.

I always tell people to approach it with a great deal of patience.  And time.  You really don't want to be in a hurry when trying to do the nails.   The aim is to nip off just the tiny tip of the nail but to do it often.  If you have ever cut your own nails too short, then you know how incredibly painful it is when you cut into the quick.  It's the same with puppies.  And if you cut too short just once, they will never forget it and getting their nails trimmed will be a monumental task forevermore. 

This excellent diagram from an American groomer illustrates not only how to cut a dog's nails, but why it is important to do it often.  I always put a copy of this in my puppy packs so there is no excuse whatsoever for the puppies' new owners to avoid this chore.  Apart from terror, that is.   But it's much easier and less terrifying when you know how.  As always, click on the image for a bigger size.

















It's best to get the puppy when he's sleepy.  And it's best to not necessarily try to do all 4 paws in one sitting.  Instead, aim to do one entire paw and then come back later to do another paw, etc.

Above all, as with so many things puppy-related, you must always win.  It's vital that the puppy learns that all his squirming and complaining accomplishes nothing until the job is finished.  By the time they leave here they are accustomed to being handled a lot and to having their nails cut, so it's easier for the new owners to just keep up the routine. 

And just in case you think it's easy for someone like me who is accustomed to doing it, here's a little video of me cutting Sox's nails.  The first front paw is easy and I'm able to go pretty quickly because I'm used to it.  But by the time I get started on the back paw, he is waking up and it gets a bit more complicated.  Notice I only try to do 2 paws in one sitting.




6 comments:

Jo Ross said...

I've always counted with Tarkka and Laatu and they have come to learn to wait until I finish counting bless them and then they get a biscuit :-)

Jennifer said...

They do come to just sit there and wait for the job to be done... eventually :-)

Heléne said...

Great picture that demonstrate how you should trim the nails properly!

Jennifer said...

Yes Heléne it makes the job so easy.

thankfifi said...

Wish I could pop my boy on my lap and trim his nails like that! He does do it now without too much trouble but by the time I get to the last one I have to be quick because he is so excited for the impending biscuit that he can't keep still!
Thankfifi

Jennifer said...

Well I guess you could *try* putting him on your lap for it, but you would need very long arms :-D