Friday 2 March 2012

fat puppies, eyes open

Two days ago we had the first tentative little blinks from opening eyes and it's looking like by the time the puppies are 2 weeks old all of them will have opened their eyes.  Without going back to refer to my "notes" (i.e. the blog from previous litters) it seems a bit early to me.  These guys also seemed to be up on their feet walking early too.  And they've started to lick your nose when you hold them close to your face.  That means they can lap and would start to drink if I offered them milk. 

But, frankly, I'm not in that big a hurry to start weaning them.  2.5 or 3 weeks is plenty early, even for greedy little baby Lapphunds.  Especially as I'm going to have to do it the hard way this time around since Pedigree no longer sell their puppy porridge.  It was so easy, so handy, the puppies did so well on it.  DRAT!  I'm amazed there isn't a similar product made by someone else.

The other thing these puppies appear to be advanced in is size.  But I know for a fact that that's incorrect perception on our part because the numbers don't lie.  They are more or less the same size & weight as previous litters.  In fact, looking at the graph, I now think that the scales I used for the first litter must have been inaccurate because I simply do not believe that Keksi, Taito and the rest of the big-dog gang were smaller as puppies than, say, Tippi and Marja, who are both now so petite. 

The first of the gang - Brownie and Claw - hit the 1 kilo mark yesterday and today only Little Ilo is just under.  

Having said all that, this bunch appear to be enormous, fat and very advanced.  Oh, and did I mention cute?





Only 4 at a time will now fit into the holding box that they all went into a week ago. 
(No, it's not your eyes, the photo is blurry - sorry!)














Out come the bellies.
















A sister or brother's head makes a fine cushion for a puppy bottom.











No comments: