Saturday 13 September 2008

wow what a racket

I'm sure going to be needing some serious bribes to crawl back into my neighbours' favour when this is all over. Luckily, puppy cuddles take me a little way, but 6am is beyond anyone's forgiveness.

I don't feel so bad about the people behind our house who have 3 of the noisiest children I've ever heard. Every day they & about 200 of their closest friends, get stuck out into the back garden to just get on with it, as far as I can tell. When I was trying to work from home - before we moved into our luxurious new accommodation in the unheated, windowless industrial unit - that racket used to drive me crazy. So I'm happy for the puppies to dish out all the noise they like to them. Heh.

But for everyone else - and I mean everyone within a significant radius - I'm truly sorry. Four, even 5, puppies cause a bit of noise when they're playing. It's natural. Everyone understands. Double the number of puppies & double the decibels. Yikes.

Most of the time, 99% of the time, the noise level is acceptable. I'm with the puppies for the majority of their waking hours and I don't let them sit yapping & howling just to amuse themselves. (Although I must confess to enjoying the howling just the teeniest bit. It's very funny.) The time it becomes truly unbearable is just as they realize I'm on my way downstairs in the morning.

They begin to wake as the sky is getting light and they're hungry & need to relieve themselves. They have been relieving themselves all over their newspaper all night and it's in quite a state, let me tell you. They start to whine & whimper & perhaps one of them will howl a little. There is a bit of sleepy playing. If I leave them a few minutes too long at this stage, the noise level steadily increases, so I try not to go downstairs until as close to 7 o'clock as I can manage. I figure most people are up by about 7 to get ready for work. When the pups see me appear at the bottom of the stairs - bam! - they all start SCREAMING.

Now, under normal circumstances, I don't even make eye contact with the puppy who is barking for attention. He's completely ignored. He's the last to be picked up and the last to move from pen to pen. That's how they learn not to yap for attention, and it's a good strategy, it works. However, all that goes right out the window first thing in the morning. It's a race for me to get their breakfast & them into the outdoor pen as quickly as I possibly can. Sticking their faces into their breakfast plate is the only thing to quiet them. And, of course, they have wound themselves up to such a frenzy that it takes some racing around the pen, still squawking, to release the pent-up energy.

I haven't received any petrol bombs or eviction orders. Yet.

Here are a few cute puppy shots to keep you going. New poll tomorrow.


Jaana having a cuddle with Lenny:
















L-R: Jaana (sitting), Tarmo, Tarkka, Viivi, Rauhan
















L-R: Inko (sitting), Jaska, Jaana, Viivi, Tarkka

1 comment:

Paula said...

Do you think you'd be able to get a picture of Inko with the lovely Lenny?